Quick Take: Everything Breaks - Even Static Sites
Two years ago I moved this blog from Wordpress over to Hugo Static Site Generator. The idea was to get the “backend” stuff out of the way of the writing. Also it’d be more secure and static, so not breaking at random.
#1 - My “setup” instructions (aka the README.md) weren’t fully correct. Not surprisingly I’m working on a different computer from the last time I wrote a post. This isn’t entirely a static site generator fault, but it does go to show that sometimes systems like Wordpress are “easier” because you don’t need to worry about what’s installed or how it’s configured.
#3 - Hugo has made a few changes in the time, including a few new version. In 2022 the last build was done with v0.75.1 and now Hugo is on v0.97.3. So far the biggest issue I’ve found is that google_news keyword is deprecated. Not a huge deal, but now I need to go update the upstream theme repo (and figure out how to deal with git submodules again). It could have been a lot worse, but I forked and used my own theme - so nothing else has changed/broken in the theme.
#5 - Lurking changes not found yet? New features? Who knows. The above four are the concrete things broken in the initial update, but I strongly suspect there will be more found down the line.
Overall, it wasn’t too painful to get things up to date. The process was a little yakshaving because even if nothing changes on YOUR side, everything else in the ecosystem is changing. Technical debt still accrues regardless of you pay attention to it or not. Hugo has 20+ releases of “major” features since the last time I was writing, and another 20ish release since I started using it 2 years ago. Each one has introduced new features and functionality that I have no idea about. Probably some very cool things that I need to look into, but for now… going to focus on sticking to the writing and less tinkering.