January 14, 2008

145 words 1 min read

SPF

I’ve decided that its time to start propagating out SPF records for all domains I control. Mainly because one of my older domains that I use for receiving email only, is being spoofed by spammers AGAIN. Normally this is just an annoyance to me, but I prefer not to have MY domains blocked because of spammers. The fun part about using SPF is that alot of my domains simply have ZERO email capability. They aren’t configured to send or receive email (hell, they dont even have MX records). For these domains I used “v=spf1 -all” — I believe that basically says “fail all messages”. At least I hope that works, might save some people from receiving some forged spam. For the domains that I do have email on, I use gmail apps. Those SPF records are " v=spf1 include:aspmx.googlemail.com ~all " (instructions here ) .