Google Apps Migration for Microsoft Exchange (GAMME) crashes on migration start
The first thing I did was check the Windows event log to to see what error messages could be gleamed. Sometimes the crash information is usable. In this particular case, not so much, other than used for googling exception codes.
Faulting application name: ExchangeMigration.exe, version: 2.3.959.855, time stamp: 0x4f01e4ad
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000
Faulting process id: 0x21d4
Faulting application start time: 0x01cccd9252234718
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Google Apps Migration\ExchangeMigration.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 90cb0e2e-3985-11e1-ad8a-f0def19fa9f6
I didn’t find anyone with the exact same exception code as mine, however I did find one person who has a similar issue with a logical fix. GAMME is not compatible with Outlook x64. Being the techy that I am, I run everything x64 that I can, including Office.
I uninstalled the copy of Microsoft Office I was using and the re-installed the 32bit version (Buying the Downloadable Microsoft Office 2010 Home & Biz from Amazon made this super easy) that I had just downloaded. I launched GAMME and blammo, it ran like a champ. Of course, I had some settings wrong and it required more testing, but at least I was able to make some progress after solving the crashing issue.