Converting to an Xbox Live Family Pack

You may also like...

10 Responses

1. NormalGuy says:

Actually, you can still use 12-month cards. Just remove one member from your family. The removed member will become a silver. Add that member back to the family (it will require a cooling-off period of about 5 days), and it adds time to the family account to the tune of 1/2 of the added account’s remaining time. Still much cheaper than the $99 option if you can find the cards on sale.

BTW, be careful how many months you add to your account. I added 2 12-month cards and now I am having some difficulties adding the account back.

2. gavin says:

if i have already bought a gold membership (march12 ), can i change to a family membership, of so, how and how much. thankyou

• John says:

Yes, as I outlined in the article above, Microsoft will convert the remaining months (up to 20) of your existing gold membership into a discount (of $5 a month) for your conversion.
      You just need to go onto Xbox Live and sign up under “Get Gold Family”.

• Tyler says:

Will it discount up to 20 months for the Head Account only or will it do it for the other accounts. (Example: If I had 10 months remaining and 2 other family members had 5, would it just discount the 10 or would it discount all 20?)

• John says:

It is just for the head account. As I mentioned above, adding additional family members that have extra time remaining adds half of their time to the family plan. Using your example, it should discount it based on the 10 months (giving you a 1 year family plan), then when you add the 2 other members with 5 months each, it would add 5 months, giving you 17 months of family gold time.

3. Tamara says:

If I buy the family pack for two accounts can I apply two years to each accounts ( two accounts) or it was to be 1 years for four differents accounts?

• John says:

Sure you can do 2 years to each account. I don’t believe there is a limit (other than the maximum amount Xbox allows you to have on one account) to how many years can be added on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. Just make sure you apply everything (all the spare membership cards that is) BEFORE you join each one to the family pack.

4. John says:

Just tried to apply a gifted 12 month gold card to my account. Alas it will not work, and only by attempting to apply the gift card via the console did I find out why (the website just said “error”).

5. andy says:

hello. my son lives with his mother and i pay for his xbox live through my windows id account. when i now try setting up my new xbox on xbox live here it says i cannot use a windows id that is already in use. do you a) know if i can have 2 accounts on 1 windows id somehow? or b) buy a xbox live family pack using my sons and add me to it even if we live in diiferent locations? any info would be really appreciated
    andy

• John says:

Andy –

A) I’m fairly certain you cannot have 2 accounts on one id.
      B) As I mentioned above, you probably want to buy the family pack with your name, and then add him, so that you control the billing info. As for different locations, yes you can do that, but you will need to start on one console, and then have any distant users recover their profile onto a different one. From the FAQ:

Q: If someone leaves the household – for example a child who leaves for college – will they still be a part of my Xbox LIVE Gold Family Pack?
      A: Yes, if a Family Pack member leaves home to go to college, they can simply recover their account on a different console and will still remain a part of the Xbox LIVE Gold Family Pack, as long as they reside in the same country as the primary account holder.

Leave your thoughts