Good or Evil? Battlefield 3 Shortcut/Unlock Bundle
So what’s the problem with unlock bundles?
Some would say that it gives an unfair advantage to people with money. This is not entirely correct, as you’re not getting something that other users cannot get (without paying). You do not receive any benefits that a player without money would not be able to earn. What these bundles do is exactly what they are called, they shortcut the game process (which many would argue “takes the fun out of the game”).
For those that don’t feel like looking it up, below is a list of all the kits and their prices. I pulled this from Origin and it is in US Dollars. I presume that the cost will decrease as time goes on though. I also expect the costs to be similar on the other platforms, but as the patch hasn’t hit 360 yet — I cannot verify.
- Assault Kit Shortcut — $6.99 — Unlocks all weapons and gadgets for the class
- Engineer Kit Shortcut — $6.99 — Unlocks all weapons and gadgets for the class
- Support Kit Shortcut — $6.99 — Unlocks all weapons and gadgets for the class
- Recon Kit Shortcut — $6.99 — Unlocks all weapons and gadgets for the class
- Kit Shortcut Bundle — $24.99 — All weapons and gadgets for all kits (Assault, Engineer, Support, Recon)
- Co-Op Weapons Shortcut — $4.99 — Unlocks all 7 weapons from the Co-Op challenge
- Air Vehicle Shortcut — $9.99 — Unlocks all the upgrades (e.g. Missiles, Radar, ECM, etc) for air vehicles (Attack Heli, Scout Heli, Jets)
- Ground Vehicle Shortcut — $9.99 — Unlocks all the upgrades (e.g. Smoke, Optics, Camo, etc) for ground vehicles (tanks, IFV, AA)
- Vehicle Shortcut Bundle — $17.99 — Unlocks for all air and ground
- Ultimate Shortcut Bundle — $24.99 — All other shortcuts (Assault Kit, Engineer Kit, Support Kit, Recon Kit, Co-Op Weapons, Air Vehicles, Ground Vehicles) combined
Something important to note, the “Ultimate Shortcut Bundle” does NOT unlock every weapon in the game. It unlocks all of the kit weapons, but not any of the assignment weapons (Such as the MK3A1), the “general” weapons you receive for ranking up (Such as the PDW or P90) or the specializations (e.g. Squad Ammo, Flak, etc). It also does not unlock the attachments for the weapons. So those with more time on their hands (and/or are rank 40+) will still have an advantage over you who’ve spent $25.
Update: Else where on the net people have said that the shortcut takes away their existing gun attachment unlocks. This maybe true for some (Translation: It’s a Bug!), but not all. I still have all of my weapon attachments from before the patch/purchase of shortcut.