Hands on with the Acer AC700 Chromebook

You may also like...

7 Responses

1. jacka$$1 says:

Nope, can’t say I ever had the same issue. I’ve been testing going back & forth from tethering to home to work and back, each done with a complete shutdown. Not once did Chrome OS required a password re-entry. That is a really unique situation you got there. Password retention is a standard wifi protocol for all OS/devices, and I’m really hard-pressed to believe that Chrome OS would haphazardly omit that. To be fair (and before others start calling “shenanigans” on your issue), might I suggest bringing up your unique wifi issue with Chromebook Central (https://groups.google.com/group/chromebook-central/topics). I haven’t been able to find anyone here with your same situation, but I’m sure the developers there would be able to shed some light. Good luck!

• Jon says:

Yea. It’s really odd. Especially so since the Wifi access should be provided by the underlying Linux layer… which does remember these sort of things. I tested it several times. So either I got some strange bug… or just damn unlucky.

We’ll see. Maybe I’ll do some more testing with it and file a bug.

2. jacka$$1 says:

Can’t seem to replicate that issue on mine. I have 5 different network settings saved: tether, client’s site, work, home, and a local Starbucks (my home network is in hidden SSID mode). Coming from either full off or sleep mode, I never once had a reconnection issue, even on my non-broadcast SSID at home. I scoured forums if this is viral issue on the Acer. None was found. CR48 dev versions are the only ones having wifi issues but those are running beta versions of ChromeOS. You may wanna check your work’s wifi router and perhaps do some more testing on your part by adding more networks to your Acer. You can’t adamantly conclude on your post that Chrome OS is the source of your wifi issues simply because you can’t reconnect at work. If that’s the case (and you didn’t mention this) are you having issues reconnecting to your Mifi?

• Jon says:

The only portion of the issue is it remembering the passwords after a full shutdown. I can connect or reconnect to any wifi network once I punch in the password again (even the mifi).

3. jacka$$1 says:

Dude, do your research first before you post. Chrome OS saves previously connected networks: http://www.google.com/support/chromeos/bin/answer.py?answer=1056578

• Jon says:

I’m sorry, it isn’t a matter of research. I was using the device exactly as I specified. Work, Mifi, Home. If I turned off at work and then back on, it would reconnect. But if I use the Chromebook at work, at home then tried to use it at work again… it would not automatically reconnect to the work network. I would have to re-enter the wifi information.

Note: This is when you turn it OFF, not just put it to sleep. During 1 continuous session (Sleep or not) it _would_ remember.

1. 2011-07-27

[…] user. If you want a computer to only surf the web and listen to music, you can buy a much cheaper Chromebook like the Acer AC700 (or a Gen 1 Air). The Gen 4, being as powerful as it is, is put to work by […]

Leave your thoughts